Monday, July 16, 2012

It's always a good time.

"Let's go out to eat to celebrate Nhi's failed attempt at employment."

So post-grad life has inspired some musings/superfluous down time coercing me back to blogging because I know you all are just dying to listen to me talk about myself some more. 
Today I will indulge you with some adolescent wisdom, although I think it should be modified to "adult wisdom" ... but I digress. The point is, failures happen. But good thing, I am used to it. I know that sounds unfortunate, but it really is not. Failing is the result of an undesirable, unexpected outcome--a negative deviation from a plan. Not to be cliche' but do you realize how many events, great contributions, have been a result of such failures?
I am often told that my "laid back" approach on life is an admirable trait, while others perceive it as some-what "lackadaisical living," often a result of apathy or lack of ambition. The truth is, I think I just realize that life is an unending cycle of trials and tribulations, and it certainly does not become easier as one ages. 

One of my favorite quotes is from Garden State:
If you can't laugh at yourself, life's gonna seem a whole lot longer than you like. 
All right, so what are we laughing at you about?
I lied again... I have epilepsy. 
Which part are we laughing about?
Had a seizure at the law office where I work, and they told me their insurance wouldn't cover me unless I wore preventative covering.
What's preventative covering?
The helmet I was wearing... Oh come on, that's funny. That's really funny, I mean I'm the only person who wears a helmet to work who isn't putting out fires or racing for NASCAR. But what do you do, I can't quit... their insurance is amazing, what do you do? You laugh. I'm not saying I don't cry but in between I laugh and I realize how silly it is to take anything too seriously. Plus, I look forward to a good cry. It feels pretty good.
I am not going to lie, I do feel a sense of slight disappointment in where I am in life, just in the sense that I feel as if I am retrogressing, and if I am not retrogressing then I am definitely at a stand still. There is definitely an inkling of emotional deja vu, perhaps because this is so similar to my experience of having to attend HACC after leaving USP--this irrational feeling that everyone is moving forward while I am in a perpetual state of playing catchup. I try not to dwell on it too much because it is not like I never make it to the finish line with everyone else, it just takes a little more effort on my part.
When asked about my feelings towards the state of my graduate school acceptance; if I feel "nervous" or "stressed" and I honestly don't know. I am nervous about disappointing my parents. I am stressed about falling short of expectations set forth for me. But my summer travels have also taught me that life is too beautiful and rich to be bogged down by all its challenges. It is what compels me to run, to hike. Despite how fatigue your muscles become, or sensations that your lungs are on the verge of collapsing, there is nothing like reaching to the top and looking down, or crossing that 7th or 8th mile mark--to accomplish a feat you felt was impossible before. I was told that the best views are from the highest climbs, and I am able to truly believe the sentiments of this statement now.

So my greatest piece of advice is to take disappointments with grace and confidence--confidence that, this too, shall pass. And once you make it past the "woe is me" self pity, and are all cried out, there is always a silver lining.

Weekend Recap:

Friday night--country bar in Grantville: The Winner's Circle Saloon & Grille. $2 draft beers, $5 cover charge. Seems silly but for a native of Harrisburg, there's still some gems I have yet to uncover. If you can get past this superfluous cover charge, the atmosphere is pretty nice if you want a quiet night of line dancing (I definitely need to learn!), and a few cheap beers to play catchup with friends.
Saturday evening--First Union game! In one word: awesome. Never been surrounded by so many soccer enthusiasts in my life. Downtown West Chester: An eclectic collection of bars. Different from Harrisburg in the sense that not every bar looks like the one next to it, but still a very typical East Coast scene.

Eargasm: Ed Sheeran - "Homeless"

No comments:

Post a Comment